Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ruby Slippers and All

After being prepared by several of our doctors for a long recovery because of pain, bleeding, and difficulty breathing, I woke up happy and ready to go in and help her transfer out of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit to the Pediatric floor where I assumed we spend the next few weeks. Then I got a message on my phone from Tory, "Dr. --- just came in, says Michelle can go home sometime this afternoon, or tomorrow. Will discuss with Dr. --- later this am."

WHAT?!?!?

I instantly had to call and find out what was going on.

Michelle was doing soooooo much better than we had expected and was not showing any signs of bleeding problems, her breathing was actually easier, and her pain was being well controlled with the medicine they could give through her G-tube. She didn't even need her IV pain medication.

WOW!!!

Then, Tory let me know that they actually were ready to start the proces to go home NOW.

WHAT?!?!?!

So, I forfeitted my shower, dressed in a hurry, got Ryker and Grandma up so that we could rush in to the hospital for the lengthy discharge process I was anticipating. I walked in and they had me sign the the paperwork, we disconnected Michelle from her IVs and monitors got her dressed and that was that. We were home and sitting on our couch before noon.

Sigh . . .
This little girl was more than excited to break free from this joint. (Tory and I were too.)
Michelle giving everyone a wave good bye and telling them thank you for all their hard work. And this is what I saw when we pulled into our driveway and turned around to see how she was doing. She was doing great!!! Now we all are doing great. After two emotional, crazy, and just plain wild weeks we are home. Just where our happy little family of four likes to be.

12 comments:

Marcie said...

HOORAY!! That picture of her when you got home is priceless! I'm so glad you get to be home together now!

Jana said...

That last picture is so cute! Pure joy!

There is NO place like home! I'm SOOO glad that you are all there together again!

Sister Christine McCracken said...

This is awesome! I'm so happy you can be at home now!

...but I will miss adventures to Narnia with Ryker while we visited the hospital.

Kara and Kevin said...

Yeah!! I am so happy for you guys. You are such great examples of how well you handle all of this. Michelle is such a sweet little girl and I am glad she could go home earlier than expected.

Kimberly and Chris said...

So glad Michelle had a quick recovery and is home! Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Shellie said...

Aahhhhhh. Home at last. So glad it was a pleasant surprise.

Angie said...

Yippee! Hooray! How exciting to be home so soon! I'm glad she's doing so well. Keep it up Michelle! We'll have to come visit you soon!

Angela said...

That is so Great to hear that you are all home together. By the way love the dress it looks so good on her.

Dangela said...

I am soooo very happy for you all!!! It's about time you got a break. Here is to an easy, quick recovery and fantastic health!

Tawny said...

Yeah! That is so exciting. I'm glad she is feeling better. Now we just need Tyler to get better and go home too.

Toni said...

That is the best news I've heard all day! SO glad you are all home and that your sweet girl is feeling better.

Erin said...

Here's to hoping she is home to stay! No more getting sick.